350 g sliced white loaf bread
250g punnet of cherries, pitted
250 mls cream
250 mls milk
50 g butter, melted
75 g dark chocolate, in chunks
125 g caster sugar
2 large eggs
Duration: 45 mins
- Grease a small baking dish. Cut the bread into Matchbox-sized chunks. Combine the cream, milk, butter, chocolate, and sugar in a saucepan. Heat gently until the chocolate is melted, take off the heat, and leave for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl, slowly add the warm liquid, whisking all the time.
- Place one-third of the bread in the dish sprinkle with one-third of the cherries, pour approximately ⅓ of the custard on top, repeat layers. Cover with cling film and leave to soak for a couple of hours or overnight.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c. Remove the cling film. Cover with tin-foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the tin foil and bake another 20 minutes uncovered. Serve warm with cream or creme fraiche.